<$BlogRSDURL$>


Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Conservatives 

The following is something I posted elsewhere responding to a post about why academia is dominated by liberals.

I think, yeah, in general, smart conservatives simply want to become CEOs as opposed to, say, social science professors.

The first time I really, really noticed this was when Jack Welch came to my law school to speak (around his book tour time). It was in the law school auditorium, but the audience was mostly B-school students. Welch came out and got an ovation I cannot describe for you. It was, well, creepy. It's the kind of ovation I would expect, say, if MLK or Thomas Jefferson came and gave a speech. Chanting of "Jack, Jack, Jack!" It was crazy. I mean, the guy was very successful, and, yes, is revered in the business world. But the utter lack of perspective was incredible. This guy did not cure cancer or help people, he simply created a lot of wealth for himself (and others, but I think most people were impressed with how much he made himself).

So, if this is the paragon of righteousness that we need to live up to, then it makes sense that we'll try to emulate Welch and not Ghandi.

Of course, movement conservatives aren't really like this--they seem to want power, not money, so there's a bit of a disconnect there. Also, outside some right-wing lawyers (i.e., Ted Olsen is really smart, as is Ken Starr), most movement conservatives really aren't too bright (check out the National Review or FOx News, you know?).
|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?