<$BlogRSDURL$>


Monday, June 28, 2004

Concert Hangover 

I'm not sure if his post will make sense because (1) I'm not sure my point makes sense; and (2) if it does, I'm not sure I can write it clearly and concisely. Because neither (1) nor (2) has deterred me in the past, it shall not here.

One of the problems with going to a truly extraordinary concert (and I consider the one I went to yesterday--see below--to qualify) is that you feel empty, in a way, afterwards. The beauty and magic that comes with seeing the concert fades, and want that feeling back. And you come home, put on the CDs, and try to recreate the mood, the feeling, the elation. You cannot. This is impossible, especially if you're listening alone. For, part of the high that can come with seeing live music is knowing that what you're experiencing is being experienced by everyone else in the concert hall. So, if you listen to the music with your friends who you went to the show with, you can approach the idea I'm talking about. But, alone, listening to the studio version of the songs you heard, you cannot even approximate the feeling. You can derive some satisfaction and solace by listening, but you cannot approach the elated sense of being you had 24 hours earlier when you saw Stephin Merritt pretend to take a gun out of his coat while singing "The Death of Ferdinand de Saussure." So, you listen and pretend you're somewhere else.
|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?