<$BlogRSDURL$>


Saturday, July 03, 2004

The Da Vinci Code 

I'm a little more than halfway through "The Da Vinci Code", and, well, it's not so bad, and it's certainly a page turner, even if the prose leaves something to be desired. And, also, let's just say that Dan Brown does not have the ear for dialogue as Elmore Leonard. But in terms of melding scientific/historic fact with fiction, it's at least as good as anything Michael Crichton has done (and I'm still embarrassed that in 8th and 9th grade I was so into his books--although Jurassic Park was made into a great movie).

However, if you're going to have a conspiracy, which has a charge to keep a great secret, you can't have everyone in on it. Now, I'm not done with the book, but it seems as if every historical figure in the Western Canon and half of contemporary Paris is in on this little secret concerning Jesus and Mary Magdalene and all that. If everyone and their mom is in on it, it ain't a secret. That is all.

UPDATE: I finished. I give it a "eh."

ADDENDUM: I just read a sentence that I'm sure will give Dan Brown impeccable credentials to write the forthcoming "Foreshadowing for Dummies"
A miracle Lord. I need a miracle. Silas had no way of knowing that hours from now, he would get one.
Emphasis in orignal. Foreshadowing, unoriginal.
|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?