<$BlogRSDURL$>


Tuesday, September 14, 2004

My Being Rude Last Night (but I feel I had no choice) 

Conversation between myself and a friend of a friend (whom I'd never met):
Me: Well, I think Bush has done a lot of bad things, but going into Iraq was, in my mind, clearly the worst.
Her: Well, but if we didn't we'd be in like a huge depression. Worse than in the 20's*
Me: Huh?
Her: Oh, yeah, definitely.
Me: Well, I don't like to dismiss arguments out of hand, and I'm sorry I'm telling you this, but I feel I have to dismiss this one out of hand. No need to discuss it.
That was it. I mean, I don't even think the Bush Administration claims that. Weird. And this person sells stocks to large institutional investors--I almost feel I should name the company to warn people that they have economic simpletons working the sales desk. But I won't.

*Yes, she actually seems to think the Great Depression was in the 20s and not the 30s. Wow.
|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?