<$BlogRSDURL$>


Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I Left Chicago for New York to Enlist in the War on Terror 

Via everybody, right-wing blogger and radio host Hugh Hewitt interviewed Time chief Baghdad correspondent:
Read the transcript of Hewitt's conversation with Michael Ware. There's this interesting discussion of how Ware came close to having his head sawed off:
By the same token, trying to film them secretly in Baghdad, I was kidnapped by them, dragged out of my car, and a group of Syrian fighters for Zarqawi were preparing to execute me on the street here in Baghdad. So I've been with Zarqawi's people in a number of different forms....And eventually, the al Qaeda Syrians decided it wasn't worth it, and through very gritted teeth, after having said a Westerner comes in here and you expect us to let him leave alive, they finally relented and set me free. It was not a pleasant experience.
Then, some time after this discussion--that is, after we've been made aware of the fact that Ware's been in some serious shit--he says
I mean, you're sitting back in a comfortable radio studio, far from the realities of this war.
and Hugh responds, hilariously, with this:
I'm sitting in the Empire State Building. Michael, I'm sitting in the Empire State Building, which has been in the past, and could be again, a target. Because in downtown Manhattan, it's not comfortable, although it's a lot safer than where you are, people always are three miles away from where the jihadis last spoke in America. So that's...civilians have a stake in this. Although you are on the front line, this was the front line four and a half years ago.
Ok. I just wanted to note the larger context. Nothing more to say, really.
Now, if my office moves to the new New York Times building, which is about a 50/50 proposition right now, I'll be the on the central front in two wars on terror--the Al-Queda one and the Ann Coulter one!
|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?