<$BlogRSDURL$>


Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Kerry Quote (and work-avoiding rant) 

This quote is making the conservative rounds:

"I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it," - Democratic nominee, John Kerry.

The one problem is that the quote is absolutely accurate - Kerry voted for an earlier version of the bill that repealed some tax cuts to pay for it. Idiot - trying to pay for the things the government does.

On the other hand, voting against the $87 billion after he had voted for the war was such a despicable act of political cowardice that I almost hope Republicans nail him with it. I think this vote, more than anything, is why I don't like John Kerry, and can't get at all enthused about his candidacy at this time. His number one qualification, as far as I'm concerned, is that he is someone other than George W. Bush. I suspect that is how many Democrats view the situation.

On another note, I do enjoy coming across conservatives lines of thought that are genuinely funny (as it is so rare) - and I have decided to officially endorse the notion that jokes about John Kerry referring to his Vietnam service at any time for any reason are funny. Michael Graham at the Corner points us to this exchange, from an interview with the Humane Society:

HUMANE SOCIETY: "Do you have any pets that have made an impact on you personally?"

KERRY: "When I was serving on a swiftboat in Vietnam, my crewmates and I had a dog we called VC..."

I think there is actually some story about how the dog survived an attack of some sort, but that is still damn funny.

Maybe not as funny as something Bush said during the 2000 Campaign, while Clinton was fighting terrorism and developing a plan to kill Osama Bin Laden:

"In June 2000, for example, candidate Bush seemed confused when asked about the Taliban. So the reporter helpfully prompted, 'Repression of women in Afghanistan?' The light dawned. 'Oh, I thought you said, 'Some band.' The Taliban in Afghanistan. Absolutely. Repressive,' replied the president-to-be."

[This is only relevant in terms of the meaningless pissing match that I contributed to above over whether Clinton or Bush did enough to fight terrorism pre 9/11 - as if either of them did close to enough given that FUCKING TERRORISTS FLEW PLANES INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER AND PENTAGON.]
|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?